August 9, 2010

Magical Monday - Sewing

This weeks challenge over at the Paper Cupcakes Challenge blog Dru Cabral brings us the challenge. She wants us to use sewing. Well, I personally love sewing on cards and projects, but rarely do it. So I was excited to have this as the challenge. My machine has not been in good working order for a while so I usually will hand sew with some embroidery thread, which is what I did here. For this challenge I decided to stray from making a card and decided to make this cute single cupcake box. I wish I would have made some cupcakes so I could place one in the box, but just didn't have the time. I did however make some muffins, but they were all eaten before I could slip one in the box and take the picture!

I started out with double sided thick paper more like card stock since I wanted a design inside and outside, but a good card stock would work just fine. I read this template somewhere and only had the measurements and so I made my own template. You need to use a 12x12 piece of paper to use the template, mainly because my template does not include the little flap that goes into the box and then there are 2 little flaps on the inside top of the box. I did my template on an 8.5x11 piece of paper minus these flaps so you could easily make your own template by tracing mine onto a 12x12 piece of paper and then you can add/extend those 3 little areas that are the flaps onto your own template, which I thought would be easy (hope that makes sense).

After I had my box together I did my stitching on the front 2 corners of the box and around the lid with embroidery thread. I colored my image in my Bic Mark-its. I seen this little saying "Cupcake Taste Tester" "Somebody has to do it" and thought it would be perfect for my little box. I put the first phrase on the tag on top and the rest on the front with my image "just ducky". I added a few yellow butterflies on the sides and thought it turned out super cute.





You can download my template I made for this here. But make sure you add the little flaps that are not on my template or you won't be able to close your box lid. It is all in the instructions, but if you have questions just email me and I will try my best to explain anything.

Also, make sure you join us over on the Paper Cupcake Blog for our blog hop this week. It starts Wednesday and runs a week you won't want to miss out on all the great sketches and new releases!



Have a great creative week!

10 comments:

Nilla said...

Hey, great sewing! Love this "little" project, stunning work! Hugs Nilla x

The Other Patti Sue said...

Now this is just down right adorable!

Dru said...

Nina, this is so darn cute!! I have to have this template and I love that you stitched it together. What a great look!

Patti P. said...

This is absolutely adorable...love the box and the sentiment is terrific, what a cute gift for anyone!

Toni said...

Nina, love your box and the duck on the cupcake is just adorable. You are always coming up with such cute things. Where do you get all that talent?

Gloria Westerman said...

I love this ......what a clever idea....will have to download your folder and try it.....
I wish I could get my Bic markers to color that good.....

Selma said...

Hi Nina,
I really love this little cupcake box. The image is so cute and the sentiment is just perfect. The stitching is such a cute way to put the box together. Looking forward to your blog hop. Thanks for visiting my blog.

Shelly said...

Love, love, love your project, Nina. It is just adorable.

CraftinGranny said...

This is absolutely adorable!
I love that cupcake box and the stitching is quite chic. Of course, this is one of my fav images. Great job Nina and very inspirational.
"Hugs" Carol

leannethomas said...

wow i love this, i have just made a 3d dressing table that sits on ur card... so i will deffinately be using this... thank u so much x x x x x